Why consider retiring in Playa del Carmen?
The simple truth is that you’ve worked hard enough—for long enough. It’s time to relax, unwind and enjoy life to the fullest. Retiring in Playa del Carmen means warm, sunny days in a home that is completely and entirely cared for thanks to the low cost of labor and maintenance.
Life here means a beautifully-manicured property without having to tend to a garden or mow the lawn. Life here means a higher quality of living, on a low budget. Life here means a home for your extended love ones to come vacation, relax and enjoy high-quality family time.
Life here is good. Retiring in Playa del Carmen is simply sweeter than fiction.
Reasons why Retiring in Playa Del Carmen—is a Sound Idea:
Many Americans and Canadians opt for retiring in Playa del Carmen as a lifestyle choice for their post-working years…and here is why:
- A lower cost of living than American and Canada—which stretches your pension and/or savings significantly further.
- A higher standard of living for the same budget, or less.
- It’s the shortest flight home of almost any tropical destination—so heading home to see the grand kids regularly is not just a possibility, but absolutely doable.
- Bringing pets into the country is an easy, quarantine-free process.
- Safety. Playa del Carmen is one of the safest cities in Mexico, with its regular police patrols, and its multi-levels of police care (including: local, federal and tourist). Almost every building also has its own private security, although the level varies between each area and community.
- Beauty and peace. Many people in their retiring years seek a simple, community-oriented lifestyle…while surrounded by beauty. There is nothing more beautiful than the soft sandy beaches, the 7-shades-of-blue Caribbean ocean, the 300+miles of connected underground cenotes (fresh water-filled caves), the European-esque feel of the restaurants and shops on 5th avenue—and oh so much more.
- Community. Retiring in Playa del Carmen means seeking community. Here in Mexico family values and a sense of community are paramount, and this is deeply engrained in the large foreign community as well. One (of many) great examples is the Facebook group <INSERT LINK> that supports foreigners in the community, both in day-to-day life and in organizing community events. There is also the Playa Animal Rescue, which foreigners involve themselves in deeply (including their Saturday, drop-in spa/play day).
- Health plays a prominent place in all our lives here, with people focusing on healthy eating and physical activity. There are also numerous health and wellness centers and hospitals that cater towards the foreign community—most of which accept foreign and local health plans (ask us for more information on local health insurance).
- You don’t have to entirely sacrifice your foreign style of life, as there are many stores with names we trust, including Walmart and Sam’s Club! There are also cable packages with all your favorite networks back home, and cinemas that show American blockbusters (with Spanish subtitles—to help you improve your knowledge of the local language).
If you’re picturing yourself quietly reading a book ocean side, or overlooking the 7-shades of blue Caribbean ocean while eating freshly-caught surf n’ turf—then you are curious. Simply contact us to see if retiring in Playa Del Carmen is right for you!
We can tell you what it would entail and how much it would cost (including rental vs ownership costs, moving costs, cost of living, services and more). We will also share the stories of the others we have helped retire in Playa, and go over the financial aspects of it, including property ownership and maintenance.
Spoiler alert: it’s easier and more affordable than you think! As there are condos and homes for sale in Playa Del Carmen starting from $59,000 USD.
Call or email us today—or use the handy-dandy live chat button below!