Why consider retiring in Playa del Carmen?
The simple truth is that you’ve worked hard enough—for long enough. It’s time to relax, unwind and enjoy life to the fullest. Retiring in Playa del Carmen means warm, sunny days in a home that is completely and entirely cared for thanks to the low cost of labor and maintenance.
Life here means a beautifully-manicured property without having to tend to a garden or mow the lawn. Life here means a higher quality of living, on a low budget. Life here means a home for your extended love ones to come vacation, relax and enjoy high-quality family time.
Life here is good. Retiring in Playa del Carmen is simply sweeter than fiction.
Reasons why Retiring in Playa Del Carmen—is a Sound Idea:
Many Americans and Canadians opt for retiring in Playa del Carmen as a lifestyle choice for their post-working years…and here is why:
- A lower cost of living than American and Canada—which stretches your pension and/or savings significantly further.
- A higher standard of living for the same budget, or less.
- It’s the shortest flight home of almost any tropical destination—so heading home to see the grand kids regularly is not just a possibility, but absolutely doable.
- Bringing pets into the country is an easy, quarantine-free process.
- Safety. Playa del Carmen is one of the safest cities in Mexico, with its regular police patrols, and its multi-levels of police care (including: local, federal and tourist). Almost every building also has its own private security, although the level varies between each area and community.
- Beauty and peace. Many people in their retiring years seek a simple, community-oriented lifestyle…while surrounded by beauty. There is nothing more beautiful than the soft sandy beaches, the 7-shades-of-blue Caribbean ocean, the 300+miles of connected underground cenotes (fresh water-filled caves), the European-esque feel of the restaurants and shops on 5th avenue—and oh so much more.
- Community. Retiring in Playa del Carmen means seeking community. Here in Mexico family values and a sense of community are paramount, and this is deeply engrained in the large foreign community as well. One (of many) great examples is the Facebook group <INSERT LINK> that supports foreigners in the community, both in day-to-day life and in organizing community events. There is also the Playa Animal Rescue, which foreigners involve themselves in deeply (including their Saturday, drop-in spa/play day).
- Health plays a prominent place in all our lives here, with people focusing on healthy eating and physical activity. There are also numerous health and wellness centers and hospitals that cater towards the foreign community—most of which accept foreign and local health plans (ask us for more information on local health insurance).
- You don’t have to entirely sacrifice your foreign style of life, as there are many stores with names we trust, including Walmart and Sam’s Club! There are also cable packages with all your favorite networks back home, and cinemas that show American blockbusters (with Spanish subtitles—to help you improve your knowledge of the local language).
If you’re picturing yourself quietly reading a book ocean side, or overlooking the 7-shades of blue Caribbean ocean while eating freshly-caught surf n’ turf—then you are curious. Simply contact us to see if retiring in Playa Del Carmen is right for you!
We can tell you what it would entail and how much it would cost (including rental vs ownership costs, moving costs, cost of living, services and more). We will also share the stories of the others we have helped retire in Playa, and go over the financial aspects of it, including property ownership and maintenance.
Spoiler alert: it’s easier and more affordable than you think! As there are condos and homes for sale in Playa Del Carmen starting from $59,000 USD.
Call or email us today—or use the handy-dandy live chat button below!
GET THE FREE 2019 RIVIERA MAYA REAL ESTATE GUIDE!!
I used American Realty to help me buy my condo in Playa del Carmen… The first thing that I would like to say is that the whole staff was incredibly helpful. Doing a real estate transaction in a foreign country can be a very daunting experience and I don’t think I would have gone through with it without all the information that I was given as they walked me through the process. From initially explaining my options and the process, to finding the actual condo (that I love) and closing the transaction, they were patient with all my questions and made me feel very comfortable with my decision. My condo is about 4 blocks from the beach and very near the center of town and I couldn’t be happier! My family loves coming to Playa del Carmen and now we have our own place when we visit. A condo in the Caribbean that we can call our own and one that makes me a decent income while we aren’t here. All in all, I couldn’t be happier with my experience and would highly recommend using American Realty to buy or sell any real estate in Playa del Carmen.
I am not one to sit down and do a review unless I feel it was worth the effort. I flew to PDC in hopes of meeting a real estate agent I had set up before flying down. Two days in, no word. I was out walking and stumbled on to a the American Realty office on 5th Ave. American Realty and met Matthew. (this is their satellite office) I told him my price range. Next day bam! Looking at units in my price range and not trying to up sell. Visited a couple buildings under construction and made my decision to buy in PDC. The size suited me best. He made this an incredibly EASY buy for me. He set up the meetings with the lawyer, notary and translator. He picked me up and drove me to the lawyer office and their own office for paperwork. People fear buying in a foreign country. Mexico is fast, safe and secure. Everything is laid out in front of you. Money is incredibly easy to transfer in escrow, this was my biggest fear. What if it disappears?? Well it doesn't. It goes to a US company then back to Mexico. Lawyers act on my behalf to pay the developer as per terms. Matthew made all of this incredibly easy. He is efficient, on time and knows this area. Follow up questions are answered promptly. Many agents get their commission and you never hear from them. I asked Matthew if he could drive to the condo to update me with some photos. No problem for him! That is customer service. I recommend any Canadian or foreigner to meet him if you are planning to invest in PDC or area. Dealing with a fellow Canadian made it much more enjoyable and trusting. I am happy with the end result and happy that I met him. Feb 8 2019
Szilvia & Zoltan Galambosi
If you are looking for a property in Playa del Carmen, I would highly recommend American Realty! Theo and the office were brilliant in mapping out our needs and found a great property for us! Their services from the very first moment we met in their office on 5th Ave, till signing the contract were outstanding. They picked us up from the place we stayed at, drove us around introducing the different areas of Playa. Were accommodating and patient with our kids when we took them to view some of the properties. We got all the help we needed with the lawyers and managing the different bits of the contracting process. They have been taking care of us like old friends - and even now that the deal has closed they check in every once in a while, which is very nice. 🙂 So all in all - excellent service and great people! Thanks Theo and American Realty. 🙂 Szilvia & Zoltan - Nov 11 2019
Steve and Annie Smith
My Wife and I worked with Theo during our house hunting trip in September 2019. Process was completed in one day. He showed us exactly what we were looking for in the price range requested. Did not waste our time. Offer made and accepted. Theo worked with us during the entire process lining up the legal team to help us through the process of purchasing property in Mexico. Theo has been there to help us with any and all questions we might have and has been there for us AFTER the sale with questions not related to the purchase of the property (getting a car, setting up WIFI, VPN, TV service, electric, etc). We got a great place and a new friend out of the deal. Highly recommend Theo and America Realty if you are buying property in Mexico. Feb 26 2020
Christopher and Sheila
Everyother agency turned us away and said that we could not find what we were looking for in our price range. We believed it until American Realty was recommended to us through a random encounter. Feeling defeated and thought we’d take one last shot we talked with one of the agents from Canada and within ten minutes after walking into his office he explained that he may have something. So we set up a viewing the next day and sure enough he found it! Hit it right on the head. Amazing job! I’d highly recommend their services for anyone interested in real estate in Playa Del Carmen.
Contact One Of Our Experts Today!
Get in touch with us today and we will answer all of your questions about the market in Playa del Carmen. Ask us about our upcoming tours and how you can win a free stay on the beach.Learn More